Monday, March 22, 2010

A Change is in the air!

So much has happened lately and I haven't posted anything about it. It is interesting when you have something planned and then... KABLAM!! Everything changes! Let me tell you a little story about Jason real quick. He wanted to apply to grad school for this coming fall, and his first choice was UNLV, because he could get his masters in Biology and then we could just stay for dental school. So he was talking with a professor from down there, Dr. Lee, back in January before he took the GRE. Dr. Lee was super cool and would respond to all of his questions and emails, and it seemed like he was really rooting for Jason. So Jason goes and takes the GRE and sends his scores down to UNLV, as well as a couple other places, then let's the Dr. Lee know that he took it. So Dr. Lee asked him to send him an unofficial transcript, and once he did that, Jason received a sad email from him that basically said "I'm sorry, I didn't understand that your undergrad is not in a science. Frankly you just don't have enough science classes. You better just save your money and not even apply this year because there is no way that we'd even consider you to be interviewed, so why don't you take more science classes over the next year and apply next year." Needless to say that was a huge punch in his gut. But we started making other plans, I quit my job and went part time, back to school full-time, and found a program that is great for me but requires me to be here in Utah. So the application deadline for UNLV was on Feb. 1st. That date came and went and Jason took there advice and didn't apply. About a week later he received an email from Dr. Lee saying, "Uuh, we received your GRE scores and you are a genius and we want you to come and interview." That's how I took it, anyway. So they asked him to come interview without even applying because he scored so well on the GRE. I am so proud of him! The average score to be accepted is 1100 and he scored a 1440. I can brag, right? Because it's not like I took it. I would have maybe pulled a 500. Maybe. Okay, so this short story is getting long. Apologies. He went and interviewed and they loved him and accepted him into the masters of biology program. He starts in August!!


On with the story. March 14th we celebrated our two year anniversary, and decided to drive to Vegas just to start checking out the area. We of course had a celebratory lunch..


And we went and saw Cirque Du Soleil 'Mystere' which was SO fun! Of course it inspired me to change my career when I get to Vegas and become an acrobat. I'd say I have it in me.




Okay, so here is the kicker. While we were down there we encountered an job opportunity for me that we were not anticipating. I am going to be the nanny of a 10 year old girl whose mom is buying four casinos and going to be mega-rich and super busy. The only thing is that she needed a nanny NOW, and I couldn't stay, so Caitlyn, the little girl, actually flew to Utah and has been with us since last Wednesday, and will be with us for another week or so. We will be packing up and moving to Las Vegas in two weeks. Yeah, I know. I said TWO WEEKS! Talk about stress! But it will all work out, and Jason and I received confirmation this morning that this was the right thing to do. So now we just have to make it happen. There is my update on life. Aaah, the joys of growing up.

8 comments:

Lynne said...

I love this story!! That is so great, you guys...congratulations!

James and Shawna said...

Two weeks! What will we do? I miss you!

Jennifer Kremer Oliva said...

YAY! Hey My BFF is in LV and I will be there in June! (3rd - 10th) We need to meet up!!! Love ya!

Erika Amonett said...

Fabulous story! Send some of that Vegas magic my way, will ya? ;)

Susan said...

Herm! That makes me so excited! Congratulations to you and Jason! :) I will definitely be in Vegas....my sister lives there...AND she teaches chem at UNLV! Jason should take her if he needs those classes. She's awesome!

Jimmy and Katie said...

OH MY GOSH! That is awesome (because UNLV is in our top 5 for dental school which we apply to in 3 mo!) ahhhhhhhhhhhh. SO amazing! And dang--had no idea Jason was so smart. hahaha! Hope to see you out there in 1 year!

The-Allen-Family said...

Holy SHAMOELY! That is alot of change but how exciting!!! YAYA for smart hubbies! Seriously that is way cool and I love that you brag about him. If we can't brag about our husbands than who can we brag about!! I am so excited for you. I hope it all goes well. You can totally do a move in two weeks, I have done that three times so far and it is definitely doable! Good Luck!!

April said...

Wow, that's awesome! Your husband is smart! Did you know that I served in Vegas (as a visa-waiter) before I went to Texas? You'll have to let me know which ward you're in... I know it's a fat chance that you'll be in one of the wards I served in, but if you were, that'd be awesome, and then I could come down and visit my old mission and stay with you guys! That'd be okay, right? Oh yeah, UNLV was in my area when I served there, just FYI. Well I hope you love Las Vegas. We'll miss you here in Utah!